There is a dark horse in the race for best thing to happen in 2019. The kids from Wacko, a Long Beach, CA hardcore band, booked a Denny’s recently and fully tore shit up. The event had all of the weird occurrences that make hardcore punk shows brilliant, beginning with the old man in the cowboy hat, “I came for the senior citizen special, (inaudible) is going on around here, they tell me that the special tonight is Wacko. Lets (inabudible) up baby!” peaking with the beautiful expression of punk rock joy at 8:22 (see for yourself below) and ending with, “after party at the generator under a bridge three miles that way.”
The whole thing possibly came to fruition as a satire of a hilarious event earlier this year, during which a hardcore singer from the more ‘tough-guy’ end of the punk spectrum blew his tough guy cover by emoting in his incongruent hardcore growl , “what the fuck is up Denny’s” at yet another Denny’s show.
All of this really touches my heart. Reminds of of my own youth attending punk shows in Albany, NY and heading to the Denny’s near the Crossgates Mall after for a Moons Over My Hammy. I think we ran out on the bill more than a few times but the nice teens who booked Wacko show us that punk nowadays has all the sass with a little more class. They were able to fundraise and pay Denny’s in full for the inevitable damages. Looks like the kids are alright.
Moons Over My Hammy
These kids from Wacko drew my attention to the fact that Denny’s and hardcore shows have always had a relationship although not quite so direct. It’s one of the few late night places underage kids can after a show. We used to hit the one on Western Ave in Albany occasionally after shows. I’d always order the Moon’s Over My Hammy.
Thick Slices of Sourdough Bread
Stack of 2-3 Thin Slices of Deli Ham
2 Slices of Swiss Cheese
2 slices of American Cheese
2 Eggs mixed
- Butter one side of each sourdough slice and grill them in a cast iron pan.
- In another pan, brown a stack of deli ham slices without separating the ham and remove.
- Add butter to that pan and cook scrambled eggs.
- Remove the pan with the grilled bread from the heat but leave the slices in there as they finish crisping.
- Add swiss cheese to the unbuttered side.
- Stack the browned ham slices on top of the cheese
- Pile the eggs on top of that
- place the American cheese on top of the eggs
- Top with the other slice of bread and make sure it is adequately grilled on both sides.
- Slice diagonally
- Serve with fries or hash browns